Getting Ready to Move?
Here are some helpful tips that may save you time and money. It can also make your transition easier and more pleasant for you and your family.
BEFORE YOU MOVE CHECKLIST:
- Hire the movers. Retain a reliable moving company as early as possible. Be clear about need and expectations.
- Take a room by-room inventory of your home. This will be helpful when unpacking.
- Organize your belongings. Clean & sort and set aside unwanted items for a garage sale, charity or the garbage pickup.
- Arrange for the shut-off or transfer of your phone and other utilities.
- Contact your bank and transfer the contents of your safe deposit box to a bank closer to your new home.
- Complete the change-of-address kit at your post office.
- Give your friends and relatives your new address and phone number.
- Obtain copies of all medical and dental records, school transcripts and birth certificates.
- Label contents on the outside of each box and indicated where it will go in the new home.
- Write FRAGILE in large, legible letter on boxes that contain breakable and/or valuable items.
- Pack all breakables and liquids separately.
- Seal all medicines in leak-proof bags or containers.
- To conserve space, fill drawers with light items such as shirts, underwear, blankets, pillowcases, etc.
- Transport your plants and pets personally, if possible. Make sure pets are kept in a well-ventilated cage.
- Hard-to-replace or extremely valuable items such as jewelry, documents or artwork should also be transferred under your personal supervision.
ON MOVING DAY:
- Try to get plenty of rest the day before you move.
- Have food & beverages for the movers at both ends of your trip.
- When the movers arrive, show them which items you want loaded last, and which items they should NOT load.
- When you arrive at your new home, check the utilities and do as much cleaning as you can before moving furniture inside.
- After the movers have finished unloading, you might be asked to sign an inventory list. Note any apparent damage before you sign and indicate in writing that you have not finished inspecting your possessions.
- Plan something special for you and your family at the end of the day.